Sunday, June 21, 2009

Winding Down a Bit


It's been over a week since we completed the walk. I'm still sort of amazed that it happened. But I'm sure it did. How else would I have gotten those 900 or more pictures on my camera, all taken at road level!

People ask about the shoes. I had three pairs - - a cheap pair of "Starter" running shoes from WalMart and two pairs of low cost Adidas from SportChek. I changed pairs each day at mid-day. By the time the 1.2 million or so steps were over, the wear on each pair was similar. And slight. They're all ready for another long hike.

And people ask about the feet. Very lucky there too. One small blister one afternoon, treated with salt water, gone in a day. Margaret was good about giving the feet a good creaming job once or twice a day. And I had 28 pairs of socks with us in the van. There were frequent changes especially on wet days. And I'm a regular at Stouffville Family Footcare. They do miracles.

People ask what I was thinking about while walking. After I got it straight in my little brain that this walking trip was actually underway, I would often see or hear something that would trigger a memory. For example, a miniature lighthouse on a front lawn - - times in Peggy's Cove, or Newfoundland, or on the Toronto Islands or up the road from Port Huron where I've seen a variety of lighthouses. Or an Adirondack chair for sale in someone's driveway - - would make me think for the dozens of chairs I repaired one summer at MBC in Huntsville. Or the sound of a bird - - memories of my mother's great interest in birds and how she taught me how to recognize many of them by their calls.

And we're asked about the fund-raising. Well, there's almost $5000 additional at Sunnybrook ready to help someone with their heart problems. (Not too late to donate!)

http://www.sunnybrookfoundation.ca/ click Events, click Trail, . . . .
Photo - - The Boardwalk, East Toronto

No comments:

Post a Comment